Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Basics of a Sandwich

Okay, it sounds kind of silly to be explaining a sandwich but to most people sandwiches mean meat and that doesn't have to be so. Forget your turkey-mayo and come to the more delicious side of sandwiches. It's time to be creative. You can have a different vegetarian sandwich every day of your life (maybe not but you get my drift).

Hot or cold. Hearty or light. Croissant or sourdough. The choices are limitless.


I guess I'll do a how-to. Let's start with the foundation of the sandwich: the bread. There's alot to choose from so here we go.
  • Regular whole wheat sammich bread: is best toasted
  • Crusty artisan sourdough or rye: sturdy bread for lots of filling
  • Croissant: best served hot
  • Pita: you make a sandwich by folding a whole piece in half
I'm sure there's other types of breads but these are the breads I use the most. Let's move on to condiments. They can really take a sandwich from great to nirvana. Just a heads up, I'm not even going to mention mayo. I tend not to use it and have sworn off of it myself. It's egg whites, oil and salt.
  • Hummus: one of my new favorites, adds a salty counterpoint
  • Pesto: adds an earthy herbal kick
  • Coarse Dijon Mustard: has mustard grains in it, tasty on hot or cold sandwiches
  • Guacamole: best during Summer, use on cold sandwiches
  • Cheese: my favorite is English cheddar, be creative use brie or gouda
  • Sundried tomatoes: they have an intense flavor, chop up finely
  • Garlic: sautee in a pan with a little olive oil and sprinkle over any sandwich
  • Black olives: slice into thirds
  • Vinegar: sprinkle red wine vinegar over greens on a sandwich
  • Pickles: duh, so simple
  • Fresh herbs: fresh basil or oregano stuffed in the middle of a grilled cheese, delicious
Last but not least, the filling. You can really seriously put anything in a sandwich. I could name ten billion vegetables alone that you can put on a sandwich. For now, I'll name whatever I think of off the top of my head.
  • Leafy Greens: fresh or wilted, spinach, kale, swiss chard, bok choy, arugula, lettuce
  • Bell peppers: good fresh but also roasted, makes them sweet and soft
  • Eggplant: fried, baked, a hearty layer for a hot sandwich
  • Sprouts: mung beans, alfalfa, good on a croissant with cheese
  • Tomato: simple as that, hot or cold
  • Onion: red or white, raw or sauteed, adds a punch
  • Cabbage: red or white, sautee lightly to soften, top with splash of vinegar
  • Leftovers: steamed asparagus, cooked squash or zucchini
  • Egg: make it into a spread with a little mustard, add S&P
  • Fruit: try adding apple, pear or apricot to a hot cheesy sandwich
  • Cucumbers: so delicious on a fresh cold sandwich
  Really you can use anything. If you think I've forgotten something important or would like me to add something that you like in particular, then leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment