Monday, March 15, 2010

Starbuck's isn't evil, I promise

I've talked about coffee before in my post on how to make a great cup of joe. However I've got some advice on good organic, fair trade and shade grown varieties. All coffees I talk about are 100% Arabica beans (the good stuff). Arabica can only be grown at high altitudes and are not high yielding. However, they produce the best product. The other varieties are Robusta and Liberica are high yielding, plains-growing plants and are resistant to disease. However they have a harsh flavor that is undesirable. So go Arabica!!! (Source: Bald Mountain Coffee)




For starters, Starbuck's has recently begun an incentive program to eliminate coffee cup waste. They will take ten cents off your coffee when you use your own mug. I brought in my travel mug recently and got it filled with a grande soy latte no problem. They are also selling recycled glass and ceramic mugs. Think about it: ten cents is kind of alot off of a coffee.

As well, Starbuck's of course has a (red) brand of coffee that helps to fight AIDS in Africa. They have also come out with several new whole bean coffees (which they will grind to your preference fresh in-store for free) that are either organic, shade-grown or fair trade. You can go to their website and view all of their coffee blends. Many of them are part of their Shared Planet program and some are Fair Trade.

I know when you think of giant, lucrative big business you automatically think of Starbuck's. Personally, it is one of the best and most consistently amazing lattes I've ever had. I've tried to replicate their latte at home but I just can't do it. My secret is telling people how much I like coffee and dropping hints for Starbuck's gift cards. One year I got four gift cards. That's alot of goddamned coffee.

Some tips to lessen your coffee guilt.
  • Use honey instead of sugar
  • Ask for a skinny coffee- that means nonfat milk
  • Get soy- cows milk can aggravate allergies, also gives a sweet vanilla flavor
  • Hold the whip
  • Use the cinnamon instead of sugar for a boost of flavor
  • Ask for sugar free syrup- it tastes the same
  • Just drink it black!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment